If you’re looking for healthy, happy and shiny teeth, you will find that cosmetic dentistry delivers exactly that. Orthodontics also deliver similar results although their objectives are different. Does this mean that cosmetic treatment and orthodontics are practically the same? Theoretically, the answer is yes. Practically though, their treatments are different even though the end result is virtually the same.
Here, we look at what cosmetic and orthodontic treatment are and highlight the key differences between both. If you’re looking for a more aesthetically pleasing appearance to your teeth, read on this article.
Cosmetic dentists are more focused on dealing with your teeth to make them more aesthetically pleasing. If you’re looking for that Hollywood smile, cosmetic dentistry offers a variety of aesthetic treatments that are aimed to transform those pearly whites. Cosmetic dentistry also includes improving how your teeth function within your mouth. Dental Veneers and Teeth Whitening are two common cosmetic treatments that are designed to transform the appearance of your teeth from any issues you may experience. This may include discoloration or a crooked appearance.
Orthodontists tend to specialize more in dental irregularities and maintain your natural teeth as much as possible without the need for any extraction. You may be suffering from misaligned or crooked teeth and jaw issues. The benefits of this to the patient is that orthodontists pay specific detail to your mouth structure and functioning so that the best treatment can be recommended. An appointment with an orthodontist is identical to a dentist. You’ll receive a diagnosis with a preparatory session followed by single or multiple appointments for the treatment necessary.
The Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Remove Discoloration and Improve Your Oral Appearance – If your teeth have been stained over time, a cosmetic dentist will transform your smile and the shade of those pearly whites. The dentist may recommend dental veneers as an effective form of treatment to deliver that Hollywood smile you’ve always wanted.
You can improve your appearance by regularly booking yourself in for check-ups. Click here to read why it will benefit you.
- Your Confidence Is Transformed – The chances of you hiding your smile is because your teeth are not aesthetically pleasing enough for you to show them. This also means that you have no confidence to smile. The range of cosmetic treatments available improves this to make you feel confident in your oral appearance again.
- Improves Your Bite and Mouth Function – Dental problems such as missing teeth have an adverse impact on how your mouth functions. Functions including biting, eating, chewing and talking all become affected if teeth are missing. Your jaw bone stops stimulating and becomes weak, changing your appearance over time.
The Benefits of Orthodontics
- Corrects Breathing Issues – Orthodontists can help deal with breathing issues if your teeth and jaw are causing problems. This will help restrict snoring or swallowing restrictions.
- Decrease In Gum Disease Risk – Plaque build up can inflame your gums. Alignment correction helps to limit this.
- A Reduced Risk Of Tooth Decay – Food can become stuck between teeth especially if too crowded and crooked. The food debris is broken down by bacteria causing erosion of the enamel and cavity formation.
Understanding the difference between the two is important so that you can understand what each role is. You will be referred to an orthodontist if you have irregularities with your teeth and mouth. For a more aesthetic looking appearance of your teeth, cosmetic treatment is the way forward.
Are you looking to transform your smile? Click here to book yourself into your first cosmetic appointment with us!